Supporter memories book...

Discussion in 'Hampton and Richmond Borough FC Unofficial Forum' started by Lord Elpus, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

In response to a thread on the forum earlier this week in which the idea was subsequently suggested by Larry, I am going to take the plunge into the murky world of self-publishing and compile a book outlining Hampton supporters’ first games at the Beveree or even just their thoughts on why they first came to the Bev and made the decision to support Hampton. I am happy to cover the costs of the initial self-published print run myself (we’re talking about a limited number and the costs are not stupidly high) and the book can then be sold in the club shop with all profits going to the club. I’m not deluding myself here-even if it the amount raised is small and almost covers the cost of the officials for one game or even just a match ball it will still have been worth the effort! If there is ever the demand for an additional print run, and I do realise I may be getting a bit overexcited here, I will reconsider any costs then so the price may have to go up slightly.

So…how can you help?

I am inviting contributions from all Hampton supporters, young and old. It can be in whatever style you like, although do keep in mind that people should enjoy reading it! I will provide some editorial between contributions as well as doing one of my own. Hopefully I can get someone with much more profile than me to write a forward! (Hint...)

All contributors will be fully credited in that they will have their name next to their work. If you have any decent photos, then send those in too. They don’t have to be of your first game itself, anything that gives readers a flavour would be great.

Guidelines

Let’s keep it nice and easy. Don't put your entries on here...send them to me via email at nicklevy@ntlworld.com or if you can't do that, give a copy to me at a game. (Ask for me via Rob Brownett if you don't know me.)

For consistency, I suggest that you keep contributions down to around a page of A4 at the most but anything would be welcome. Try to give an approximate date, the opponents, and a bit of background info such as why you decided to go to Hampton in the first place, what you thought of the ground, the atmosphere, who was the manager, who were some of the players etc. I’m also interested in what got you hooked and kept you coming back for more. Its your personal viewpoint that will make it such interesting read. I’m sure there are a lot of great stories out there that others will thoroughly enjoy reading.

It’ll take as long as it takes but if I don’t get enough contributions to make it viable then I will probably suggest that those submitted could be used in future matchday programmes. I hope this is OK and contributions will be sent on this understanding.

Give it a go and get writing! Even just on this forum there are about 357 members, even if some are more active than others, so we ought to be able to produce something…

I'll keep the forum updated...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Hampton mad and Rob Overfield like this.
  2. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Just bumping this to the top...had lots of interest so far so do join in!

3. Might be a good idea to approach some of the long standing supporters who go back into the pre senior club days. Not all of them may have internet access.

Hampton mad likes this.
  4. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

You need to talk to Shirley, Adrian and Alan Duddy

Hampton mad likes this.
  5. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Yes, many thanks for the feedback, I would really like some contributions from the more "senior" supporters. I'm thinking of doing a flyer to distribute at a couple of home games which will reach those who may not be internet connected.
    Since I'm on here, how about something from you guys, Hampton Mad, Shepp and Les obviously? You all have good tales to tell I'm sure!

6. Will try and put a few thoughts on paper over the next few weeks. Is there any deadline for this?

7. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Thanks. No, there isn't really, as I'm self publishing but I'd like to spend a fair bit of time on it over the next month or so.

8. Rob Overfield

Rob Overfield Member

may well be something in the programme....

9. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Gave some flyers out on Saturday and will probably do so again at another home game. Had some very positive comments from lots of people but do get writing folks and send your contributions in. You dont have to be Shakespeare and it doesn't matter if your memory is somewhat dusty...just write down some thoughts as to why you first went to Hampton, why you kept going etc, maybe alongside some info on your highlights and favourite games, managers and players etc which would be really interesting.
    Remember...the club gets the profit and you get your name in print!

10. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

As well as getting your name next to your article, would it be a good idea, for a small charge, to have have supporters name dedication on a special page.
    This has been done with other books that I have bought.

11. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Thanks, it's a good idea in theory and I may consider something along those lines before publishing but if no one else contributes there won't be a book at all, which is the priority.
    I have had 3 contributions sent in so far (thanks guys) but there's also been a lot of support and interest which will hopefully translate into more submissions. I don't want to put people off by potentially asking them for cash as well! Let's see what happens in the longer term though. Thanks for your idea.

12. Rob Overfield

Rob Overfield Member

Think it’s time for a website article...

I’ll throw a message or two your way this afternoon with a few ideas... have to do something on the way to Heybridge!

13. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Thanks. Yep I'll be on the way there as well. Will dictate any answers to my assistant!

14. Good luck with the book but i really hope no one says 'the first time i went to The Beveree'.
    If everyone simply says 'Beveree' without the 'The' you'll make an old man very happy. :p

Guingamptonian likes this.
  15. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Thanks for the good wishes... I think it tends to be a fairly even balance between those who call it "Beveree" and those who refer to "The Bev." Personally I am happy to get contributions from all!

16. TW2-Beaver

TW2-Beaver Member

Yes, this gets on my nerves as well. Aberdeen don't play at "The Pittodrie" and Liverpool don't play at "The Anfield".

Editors could argue all day about this but the general rule is:

If there could be more than one of something, then "the" could apply (Millwall play at "The Den" and Halifax Town play at "The Shay").

If it's unique, such as the name of a house or a local district, then "the" doesn't apply (Beveree, Anfield!)

I am sure some smart alec can find an exception out there, such is the English language :)

Captain Christie likes this.
  17. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

I could really put the cat amongst the pigeons here and point out that English is an ever evolving language...
    But I'd like some contributions from people, so I won't do that!

18. TW2-Beaver

TW2-Beaver Member

You shall have mine soon, I promise, and Captain Christie will love it!

Captain Christie likes this.
  19. Mine, too, will be there after Christmas. At the moment, all my creativity is being used up in that desperate last-minute search to find a present and card for the missis. (Sorry to anyone offended by any non-PC language.)

20. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Thanks, will look forward to your contributions!