Budget cut for next season...

Discussion in 'Hampton and Richmond Borough FC Unofficial Forum' started by Lord Elpus, May 24, 2019.

1. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

See the story on the club's main website. The playing budget for next season is being cut folks...the remit now is for a squad of "hungry, young players."
    Hmmm. Any comments?

2. Adam

Adam Member

Also mentions the Jacques is now chairman. I heard this was announced at the award evening. But have we actually announced Graham is stepping down?

Will be tough for us, but would rather we get relegated than go bust.

3. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

News about Graham was in the programme apparently but I don't buy one so can't comment. Yes, I'd rather be prudent than go bust but it could be another season of struggle.

4. Richard

Richard Member

Think we are in for a tougher season than most of us thought.

Strange there was not more of an announcement about Graham other than at the presentation evening.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

5. Richard

Richard Member

I missed that as well.

6. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

The news that Graham was stepping down was announced in the last home programme of the season. When Graham took over 2 years ago he said at the time that he was only going to carry out the role for two years to enable Jacques to get 'bedded in'. Graham lives in the North East and would have been finding the trip down tiring - he's older than me - and if I make the occasional trip up to the North East we take the train.

Regarding the budget, strangely enough Lesley & I were discussing that going for a reduced budget and younger players (not forgetting the money that is being spent on the ground in the very near future) was probably the way the club might be planning to go (without any prior knowledge on our part!).

This is a sensible decision bearing in mind what is/has happened at other clubs, recently (Gateshead, Staines, Hungerford etc etc).

Gary is to be congratulated for seeking to take on the challenge.

Better a functioning club than no club at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  7. tony

tony Member

I guess more details will emerge given that there is still an AGM to be held. Rumours are that Gary applied for the Wealdstone job so if true a budget cut may have been on the cards for a while. Obviously a shame that we have not been able to sustain a budget for longer under the “new” regime but I know too well how expensive a game this is and without our individual backers it is nigh on impossible to play at this level on our gates. Maybe a good opportunity for new investors as I am sure the club is well run and not carrying the sort of debts you see at many other clubs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    TangerineBeaver likes this.
  8. This news fits into recent articles that the club are having to reassess their finances. Graham finishing as Chairman was known from the outset, regrettably it seems that no plan to replace his financial input has been possible.
    It looks like the budget will be amongst the lowest in this league and there may well be several teams below us in the pyramid with better funding.

9. tony

tony Member

Need a Jamal Lowe transfer dividend - could well happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Still some big clubs interested in him apparently. A figure of 5m has been quoted...

11. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

We'll never know if he did apply for the Wealdstone job or not, but if he is looking elsewhere (and quite frankly who wouldn't if their working conditions changed) then maybe it might not be a bad idea for us to really take stock, and start considering if a manager who really does have a record for bringing "young and hungry" players through the ranks might be a more long term option. If Gary really is committed to this new approach then great, but what was his record for taking this approach at Hendon?

12. hrbfc__fan

hrbfc__fan Member

One way to increase the budget is to have less Coaching staff im sure that could help.
    There was 5 including Gary last season which I think is slightly too many

13. Richard

Richard Member

I expect Gary has a set budget for his staff and he can split it amongst as many individuals as he wants. Some staff may not even get paid.

14. This should be pinned at the top of the board.

ALLY ALLY ALLY O likes this.
  15. Rob Overfield

Rob Overfield Member

Well here’s a thing.

I was just having a discussion with Gary about something not connected with this rumour and in closure, I happened to mention that this rumour was abroad, so to speak.

His response? He never applied for the job, and wasn’t even aware of the extent of the budget cuts until the start of this week.

He says it’s not the first time in his managerial career he’s had to face this kind of news, he’s dealt with it before on a number of occasions. He knows it’s a massive game-changer and means that expectations will have to be reduced but he’s not going to run away.

I would have expected better from the forum member who chose to post this rumour...

16. To clarify and because nobody has asked this.

If we hadn’t had that cup run then we would be out of the league because our ground doesn’t come up to standard? Correct? It seems to have been made out that the whatever it was amount of money made from that run could only be spent on ground improvements and HAD to be spent on ground improvements.

Just curious.

17. SteveM

SteveM Member

It’s a forum Rob, for frank, open discussion, so if you don’t like adult themes go watch CBeebies

Hampton mad likes this.
  18. We are not the only team in our division that have reduced their budget for next season.
    With the revised budget we might be fighting just two or three sides to avoid the relegation trap door.
    Gary will need to work some magic to get a team of young hungry players. Wish him well.

19. tony

tony Member

Rob I just reported a rumour that anyone could read and probably most have. I was not accusing him of applying for the Wealdstone job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hampton mad likes this.
  20. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

If Gary's been in this position before then great. More power to him and good luck. I wasn't trying to say anything controversial.

Hampton mad likes this.