Looking towards our centenary there will be a series of essays on the web site;;; This was the first;; HAMPTON HEROES #1 By Ben Morton Captain Robert Christie-Crawfurd, 1859-1948 The 19-part series put together by Rob Overfield and Les Rance kicks off with the man who owned the ground before the Beavers even existed. Captain Christie-Crawfurd's (pictured above in March 1896, published in the Thames Valley Times) influence on the Beavers is somewhat indirect and yet so important in the club's history. Its hard to think that at one stage of its existence, the site of Beveree was just open gardens, belonging to a rather grand house, owned by a military gentleman; yet this is the case! Previously known as Rose Villa and then Roseville, the property called Beveree House on Hampton's High Street was bought in 1891 by Captain Robert Christie-Crawfurd on his retirement from active service with the 12th Royal Lancers. He was a keen collector of English Civil War memorabilia, with his collection being given to the town of Stow on the Wold. The Beveree House property also came with grounds, which extended to 11 acres in size at one time, including 7.5 acres of 'rich meadow land.' In the years before and after the Beavers formation in 1921, he allowed the grounds of Beveree to be used for recreational and sporting purposes, including athletic meets by the Hampton Harriers. He also allowed local Charity Cup finals to be played there as well as some junior football. Before Captain Christie-Crawfurd passed away in 1948, it was said he had promised the ground to the Hampton club, but there was nothing in writing and following the Council's purchase of the grounds in 1950, it was used by the now defunct Twickenham FC from 1952. However, the Beavers outmaneuvered the then tenants to take over the lease from 1959 and Captain Christie-Crawfurd's grounds have been the Beavers’ home ever since. Grateful thanks to club historian Les Rance for his helpful assistance regarding background to the Captain. Further notes on Beveree and Captain Christie-Crawfurd can be found in Tony Nash's History from 2002.