Player Retention **Poll Added**

Discussion in 'Hampton and Richmond Borough FC Unofficial Forum' started by Æthelbehrt the Woebegone, Apr 28, 2019.

?

Who should be retained for next season?

1. Tom Lovelock

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Luke Ruddick

15 vote(s)
    68.2%
  3. Simon Downer

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Rian Bray

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  5. Oliver Sprague

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. Tyrell Miller-Rodney

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  7. Casey Maclaren

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  8. Jack Connors

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  9. Ricky Wellard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Hector Kyprianou

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  11. Michael Corcoran

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  12. Harry Crawford

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  13. Ryan Hill

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  14. Matty Wichelow

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Chris Dickson

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  16. Craig Dundas

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  17. Marcel Barrington

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  18. Karl Oliyide

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  19. Ruel Sotiriou

20 vote(s)
    90.9%
  20. Zak Jospeh

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Now that the season is thankfully over, are we allowed to finally talk openly about which of this years cohort we would like to see don the red and blue next season? The Gaffer's comments yesterday suggest that (finally) he might have realised that many of them are simply not up to the level required.

For me, the list of retentions is exceptionally short.

I'd really like to see Ryan Hill again as he has shown in the last few weeks, when finally being given a good run of games, that he has fantastic drive and energy. He was our most consistent performer in the last quarter of the season and I'd like to see what he could do with a better team around him.

If possible, and I understand it IS possible, we should be looking to secure Ruel Sotiriou for a long-term loan. With Orient going up it is highly unlikely he will get thrown in to the League 2 team so we should be doing all we can to make sure he continues his development with us. I didn't get to see Hector play but if the reports are accurate we should do the same with him.

Out of the rest of them, I can only say I would consider a few as 'squad players' for next season, certainly not in any way should they form a consistent part of our starting eleven. Casey Maclaren, Harry Crawford, Oliver Sprague, Luke Ruddick I would accept in this bracket as they have at least shown some ability and fighting spirit at times. Jack Connors would fall in to this category should we be able to prize him away from Dover.

Dundas, Downer and Dickson have been useful at points through the season and have had some good games, but I feel at their ages they should not be retained due to the wages they will ask for, the fact that they will probably require contracts, and the ever decreasing lack of game time they can cope with due to injury and recovery time.

Lovelock, Bray, Wellard, Joseph and Miller-Rodney can all leave and never return. They have been here all season and have been poor for pretty much all of it.

The difference that having a solid keeper like AMB in the sticks for a few weeks made just showed up how far from the standard Lovelock is, even Rian Bray looked like a defender (of sorts) with Ashley behind him. Lovelock is a reasonable shot-stopper but his decision making, aerial ability and distribution are poor. He also gives no confidence to those infront of him (see Bray, R.)

Bray has to be one of the worst centre-halves I've seen at this level. He isn't a strong dominating brute, he isn't fast, he isn't a footballing defender, his positioning is often bemusing and he gives away so many cheap free-kicks that put us in difficulty. Basically he does absolutely nothing that you want your CB to do. I accept he is young, but then so was Jack Cook and the difference between the two is wider than the Atlantic Ocean.

Wellard, well, I'm not sure what I need to say. What does he actually do? Club captain too! Where has the leadership been all season? No thanks, this is a step (or two) too high for him.

Joseph has shown some industry at times but his finishing is poor, he loses the ball a lot and I've seen him fall over way too often. Very little actual contribution.

TMR is maybe a little unlucky to be grouped with this lot, but he's just way too prone to making errors to be trusted in this league. He gives the ball away and dives in a lot. If we could find nothing better I could just about accept him being a back-up.

There is no way they should be turning out for us next season if we hope to achieve anything other than another season of struggle. Barrington hasn't shown much in his time here for whatever reason. Maybe injuries or fitness, but he's not done much to suggest he is a NLS standard player.

Those not involved yesterday that are still knocking around, Whichelow has had flashes but like many others has not been consistent and has had a few injuries limiting his involvement. Oliyide has been a disaster. Is Corcoran still here?

That is the lot of them that are left as far as I am aware, bar academy players. I'd like to see a few youngsters given a chance but the lack of a reserve/u-23 side makes it difficult to bridge the gap between the academy and the first team. I understand why we don't have a reserve side (finances and volunteers) but it does mean we have to operate on a smaller squad and send out any prospects or squad players on dual-contracts, rather than keeping them within 'our' club and doing things 'our' way. I also think that too many of this years squad were very distant from the club, too keen to disappear off after a game out of the side door. Maybe that is a consequence of the poor form, but maybe it is a symptom of why we were so poor? Maybe they just didn't buy in to the club.

Clearly a lot of work for Gary and the management to put in over the summer. He needs to get it right though as the excuse that all our play-off final squad left and he had to completely rebuild won't wash next time. The credit in the bank that it was a 'hard job' has now run out and we should be ready to hold him to account if we start next season in the same manner that we performed for the bulk of this one. Over to you Gary, show us that you ARE the right man to take us forward.

hrbfc__fan likes this.
  2. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Thats plain speaking Athers!
    Personally though I think I'd still keep Dundas as he puts in a shift and is so capable. Plus also Hill, Sotiriou, (if possible with Orient) Ruddick (who has done really well on the quiet)...after that I'm struggling a bit. I heard that Joseph will still be on a contract next season, anyone know if that's correct? Gonna be an interesting summer that's for sure, although seeing as we signed Dundas, Downer and Dickson on the eve of the season it might be a long wait.

3. tony

tony Member

I think Joseph is on contract so will be back unless we decide to put him on the transfer list. I agree he has not done enough to be retained otherwise. Ruddick is also on contract I believe and is decent. After that I would expect maybe McLaren and Sprague could make the squad and Dickson if we could keep the first half of the season player. Hill looks too lightweight for this level but has showed more than most over a limited period and could make pre season. No others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Poll added, if you fancy joining in. Should present a clearer view of the prevailing opinions.

5. Well, I may be wrong but this is the first time that I have seen a thread like this!
    The views expressed are broadly in line what many supporters feel and
    does give an indication of what supporters think of what needs to addressed.
    No doubt Gary will point out that he does not have the biggest budget in the league and that his choices are therefore limited.
    Because of budget and contract issues already mentioned there will be some familiar faces come August.
    Personally I would try to strengthen the spine of the team. The right players in these positions and things will fall into place. Would not mind a couple of loan players providing these are long term.
    We await news and it will quickly become apparent which standard we are working at.

6. Mucky knees

Mucky knees Member

Solid goalie?! Was Lovelock back in goal yesterday?

MK

7. Just watched a couple of interviews with Gary about next season on club twitter. Felt he touched on certain points made on this forum.

8. Yes.

9. Pretty much agree with every single word of this post.

We have had some serious under-performers this season who have massively let Gary down on numerous occasions. Lovelock, Wellard, Bray, Wichelow all consistently poor throughout and all simply not good enough for this level I'm afraid. Miller-Rodney questionable.

The ex-Hendon trio of McLaren, Corcoran, Sprague are in my view all of the required quality for this level. However between them they’ve spent more time on the treatment table than on the pitch this term and so you seriously have to question whether that's a risk worth taking for next season.

The biggest disappointment this season has to be by his own admission Zak Joseph. He's clearly struggled to adapt to the NLS. He without question has the talent, the biggest question mark for me however is does he have the head. I'd retain him (even if he wasn't on a 2-year contract).

I think it's time to bid our farewells to both Downer & Dicko. Personally I'd keep Dundo for 1 more season as I still think he has something to add.

The 2 x Orient lads have to be here next term, been very impressed with both.

I would therefore keep 9 of the current squad: Ruddick, Connors, Hill, a fully fit Sprague & McLaren, Dundas, Joseph and the 2 x Orient lads. Not sure the rest are worthy. If I were Gary I'd be going all out to sign Sam Howes, Charlie Wassmer and Niko Muir for next season.

10. tony

tony Member

Personally would be worried if we retained that many from the current squad.

Looking at the final league table, we had the fourth worst attack and fifth worst defence. Dickson was top league scorer on 16 with next highest on 6. Highest scoring midfielder on 3 (Hill). 22 points won at home and 29 away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Think most folk would prefer a bigger clear out of this squad.
    Gary must now be well aware of the difference in standards,so hopefully will not make the same mistake. Some of his better Hendon players joined clubs further up the pyramid and have not been that successful, depending on their contracts there might be something there? Even Muir has failed to hold down a starting position and is mainly on their bench, often unused.
    If Joseph has a two year contract, one hopes there are not others which is going to hamper recruitment.

12. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

I wonder if any players actually read this...there can't be many who would want to stay after viewing our ramblings. To be honest it always amazes me if we hear about any players and managers who do read forums.

13. These forums are an archaic if effective form of social media .Chairmen have certainly been known to read them...and sue posters on occasion.

14. Adam

Adam Member

Most people have said they’d get rid of Dicko. He scored 16 goals. However I’d only keep him if doesn’t insist on a contract. Can’t be contracting too many imo. Should be reserved for younger players with potential to sell on.

Interesting hearing Gary’s thoughts that he thought he needed technical quality rather than athleticism as it were in his interview. Can’t have watched much of the league in previous seasons. Bit of a surprise. Need a midfield engine next season in the middle of the park. Doesn’t have to be the best player but just gets in the way. We had this in the last few years with Baptiste, Jolly, Harold. Didn’t have that this season.
    I wonder if Woking go up Jolly would want to play in the national next season. Wouldn’t mind him back in the middle of the park.

15. davc

davc Member

I think throughout the season supporters of Hampton have been solid and have got behind the team regardless who the manager picked. Also there has been no bad mouthing of players on here..i occasionally read the Woking site and their board has continuously slaughtered players throughout the season, no one escapes it..and they finished 2nd!!..i think the mock vote here is fine now and it seems a fair assessment of performances & availability & probably cost to the club..Downer getting 3 votes for example reflects him being on contract but hardly being available. When he does play he is head and shoulders above anyone else. Dickson would obviously be retained as he is a class player but not as the Clubs most expensive player...others like Bray have shown fantastic commitment but are not up to this level unfortunately. Given this is the end of season i think it is fine for supporters to reflect their opinions.

Richard likes this.
  16. Nicebeaver

Nicebeaver New Member

"Chairmen have certainly been known to read them...and sue posters on occasion."

Interesting, any historic cases/stories that you can share?

(Is it Chairperson these days?)

hrbfc__fan likes this.
  17. Easier & quicker to google

18. I agree that 9 seems toppy, especially given the season we've had, but we have to be mindful of our budget constraints. We should also not ignore the fact that the likes of Joseph, Ruddick, Hill, Sprague, McLaren now have a season of NLS experience under their belts.

19. SteveM

SteveM Member

I doubt many managers are sad enough to read forums mate, let alone react to them through their clubs' media channels -- some apparently are though

20. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

They certainly are!