Season suspended till April 3rd

Discussion in 'Hampton and Richmond Borough FC Unofficial Forum' started by Lord Elpus, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Announce the National League, as they bury their heads in the sand...

2. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

Not all together surprising.

3. Mucky knees

Mucky knees Member

Had to happen at some point in time...

MK

4. tony

tony Member

I very much doubt that the season will resume at all and certainly not by 3 April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TW3Beaver and Hampton mad like this.
  5. From the most recent announcements it might be that our season could be extended to May or to July!

6. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

Don't think anyone can say when it will even restart.

7. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

Sadly I think you are true.

8. tony

tony Member

Barnet are making their non playing staff redundant, the first of many teams who may be considering this.

9. cliffp

cliffp Member

Reportedly 60 members of (non-playing) staff. Seems they were carrying a large overhead cost and not surprised it is no longer sustainable.

10. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

60 staff sounds like quite a lot for a National League side. Wonder if that's the norm?

11. tony

tony Member

Suspect many are related to their academy which was receiving parachute payments from the EFL following relegation. Barnet were running at a substantial loss in a gamble to get back into the EFL before the parachute payments ran out after two years. Now that promotion isn’t going to happen they have had to take drastic action to cut costs. Even the manager has been given notice.

Having contracted players is now a massive burden for clubs as they have to be paid even if the league is suspended. I hope the NL will allow clubs to temporarily suspend payments whilst there are no games to aid cash flow. Hopefully players will be supportive of not insisting on payments otherwise some clubs may take unilateral action to stop paying. Their very survival is at risk.

12. Stef

Stef Member

The FA have just extended the suspension for Elite Football to the 30th April and allowed an unlimited extension when they start playing again.

Will be interesting to see what actions the various leagues take and, also, what stance the FA take on grassroots football as well.

RogerSW likes this.
  13. SteveM

SteveM Member

Anyone fancy a game of Subbuteo on Saturday, no handshakes?

14. SteveM

SteveM Member