....WE'D SING AND DANCE FOREVER AND A DAY.......

Discussion in 'Hampton and Richmond Borough FC Unofficial Forum' started by Les 1949, May 2, 2020.

1. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

Another one from the archives......

upload_2020-5-2_13-14-35.
    upload_2020-5-2_13-15-54.

Attached Files:

2. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

What a day!
    Did anyone else think the huge net of red ballons behind the goal that day was tempting fate? I know we did.
    Devonshire was a great manager. As the report says, the squad had largely stayed together and grown into a formidable unit.

3. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

Yes, Lesley & I were at the ground there from early in the day and we thought it was a bit presumptious, but that was the Coles for you!

4. How many of this team from this era would get into the present team, even allowing for the difference in leagues?

5. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Don't think it's as simple as that Shep...the squad had developed together and knew exactly what team mates would do on the pitch. It was a genuine team effort, with fringe players like Matthews and Fernandes who could slot in easily.
    Having said all that, I'd have Lovett, Harper, Wells, Hodges and Yaks back in a shot.

Captain Christie likes this.
  6. Good points Lord E , it is very difficult to produce a composite team from different eras. The players you mentioned were the ones I had in mind.
    Perhaps others have different ideas?
    Ps
    Godfrey might be another to give thought for?

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  7. Brit

Brit Member

Nothing much ever got past Innsy and any goalie could feel confident with him in front. (Eventually played for Slough ten years later)

8. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

Maybe you should have called this thread Up on the Roof.

9. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

OMG (as they say) I did get a lot of stick from visiting supporters but at the time it gave great view. Missed out on the t-Shirts, though.

10. Mucky knees

Mucky knees Member

My nephew was the match day mascot that afternoon. He's 23 now

MK

11. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

Also means we are all 13 years older, Mucky.

12. Spot on. I couldn't agree more. I was involved with teams with better technical players but that squad of players were the best team I ever been around and that's what got them through many games. It's an old cliche but they really did act like would run through brick walls for each other. The team spirit was incredible.