1. Adam

Adam Member

I see Wigan have entered Administration. As far as I understand Wigan owed Portsmouth a final payment on Jamal this summer which would then see us get our last payment from them. Under FA rules football creditors are protected. But could delay us seeing the money. Obviously would be worse if Wigan were to become liquidated.

One to keep an eye on.

2. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

Wigan may not be the last club to have serious financial problems. Fortunately our sell-on clause is with Portsmouth, not Wigan.

3. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

That's interesting Adam, I'd forgotten about the final payment for Jamal, but won't Portsmouth owe that money whatever the situation at Wigan?

4. I believe that the debt between the two league teams will be met under F A rules. No doubt Portsmouth will have budgeted to have their payment on the due date and this may still happen, if so, we should get our percentage.

5. Brit

Brit Member

This item from the Latics board cleared up for me the slightly confusing (to me anyway) how the points deduction will be dealt with.

The way it works is that if we are 12 points clear of the bottom 3 we start with a clean sheet In the Championship next season - if not we get 12 deducted from our total and start Division 1 with a clean sheet but I am sure lots of appeals and investigations before any of this

As a result of Wigan Athletic confirming they have entered into administration, the Club will be subject to a 12-point deduction and, in accordance with EFL Regulations, the timing of the sporting sanction can only be determined once final league placings in the Championship are determined.
    If in the event the Club is relegated by virtue of their final position following the conclusion of the Championship season, then the deduction will apply in League One in 2020/21. However, if the Club is not in the relegation places following the final game of season, the sanction will be then be applied to their season 2019/20 total and final league standings amended as appropriate.
    The EFL is awaiting formal notification from the Administrators and once the League has received this it will commence discussions with the relevant individuals with the aim of achieving a long-term future for the Club.

6. tony

tony Member

I suspect that we will not get paid until Portsmouth receive the payment from Wigan although we will eventually get paid under the football creditor rule. The unknown is when which makes planning for the new season tricky.

7. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

That's exactly what I thought when the story came up earlier in the week. There's no way Portsmouth are going to give us money they haven't yet been given...

8. If there is a delay, if they think the virus has drastically affected our income, what you might get is an offer from Portsmouth of a lesser amount on the due date as a final payment thus depriving us not only of the full amount due plus any add ons that might becomes available.

9. cliffp

cliffp Member

That will be for the chairman and board of directors to decide then won't it? What's if's and maybe's Shepp as always.

10. tony

tony Member

They are not obliged to pay us anything until they are paid so not sure why they would pay us anything. Let’s hope Wigan finds a buyer quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Lord Elpus

Lord Elpus Member

Isn't there a law about clubs in administration that says football creditors have to be paid in full?

12. tony

tony Member

It’s an EFL rule not a law as such. In this case Portsmouth is the football creditor and will get paid if Wigan is sold. We should then get our payment from Portsmouth

13. RogerSW

RogerSW Member

No problem, we'll take Jamal back, he'll probably get a place on the bench

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

14. SteveM

SteveM Member

15. SteveM

SteveM Member

Doing alright on the pitch at least -- 7-0 up v Hull at half-time, Jamal claiming the crucial fourth in the 37th minute

16. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

Jamal also with 3 assists!

RogerSW likes this.
  17. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

Could have done with Hull picking up so.ething from that game to help send Birmingham City down.

18. TW3Beaver

TW3Beaver Member

Wigan obviously declared at half time, as it finished 8-0.

19. Les 1949

Les 1949 Member

Didn't want to show Hull up:(